Welcome!

"Success in life has nothing to do with what you gain in life or accomplish for

yourself. It's what you do for others."-DannyThomas

Friday, May 24, 2013

“I don’t want condoms”


“He stared me at the face and said “Have you ever felt like having a fever for the last three months?” “No” I said. “Have you ever had chronic cough for the last three months?” “No sir”. “Do you have a girlfriend?” Nope”. He paused a bit and looked at me and said “I mean do you have a girlfriend?” “No sir” “Have you had sex for the last three months?”

Lately, I have been perplexed to some degree as regards my health status. I had just recovered from an illness and the doctor had told “Cyprian, you do not have to wait until you are hit below the belt before knowing the condition of your body system” He also added “regular body check up is a great way of preventing illness and as well as nipping those illness in the bud”

I was grateful to the doctor, Mr. Chima Nwokeji who did all he could to diagnosis the cause of my illness and as well prescribe drugs to purchase. At the end I was not surprise I had malaria fever. So I made a solemn promise to myself that I will always know the status of my health.

This time I had taken the pain to keep to the commitment I made to myself. I wanted to know my HIV/AIDS status. I have not run a test for that and there was no way I could know if I have contacted the virus. Prior to this moment of my life I had formed the habit of procrastination. On the 26th of November 2012, the members of the St Vincent the Paul Charity group in my parish where I worship organized a one day free medical test. They had blood test, high blood pressure test, cancer test, and of course HIV/AIDS test. I did not take advantage of that day. I procrastinated.

On the 15th of April 2013, the Lagos State commenced a local government project which seeks to improve the health of every citizenry starting from each local government. They were the Lagos State Aids Control Agency (LASACA). On that sunny afternoon I was walking past my environs. Just some kilometers away I saw a large crowd of people gathered around a well placed canopy. I was curious, I began to asked question. I later realized it was the members of the LASACA.

So, I dragged my feet reluctantly toward this group of people. I saw young men walking away with packs of condoms in their hands. I saw a particular young man smiling as we fumbled to put these packs of condoms in his bag. I saw young girls as well as old ladies, going home with female condoms. I was literally dumbfounded. “Is it a condom festival” I said jokingly to myself. “Anyway let me check” I concluded.

As I walked close a young man was just leaving a seat. Then I sat back on that seat. I met of the LASACA’s workers –Mr Olumide. “Good afternoon sir” I greeted. “Good afternoon” he retorted. I explained to him that I got to know they had a free HIV test. He concurred and began with the process. Before He began the test I was asked to indicate I have agreed to be tested upon by filling in some form and signing.

He stared me at the face and said “Have you ever felt like having a fever for the last three months?” “No” I said. “Have you ever had chronic cough for the last three months?” “No sir”. “Do you have a girlfriend?” Nope”. He paused a bit and looked at me and said “I mean do you have a girlfriend?” “No sir” “Have you had sex for the last three months?” No sir. After filling up his papers, he ran the test. He took some sample of my blood by piercing my thumb with a medical pin. I was bleeding then I put my thumb dripping with blood on a white paper that looked like the litmus paper. He then stooped for some minutes.

I was really worried “would I be positive or negative?” My heart was beating hard and fast. I was tensed up as I wanted to know the out come of the test. Then He raised his eye balls and said to me “Cyprian your result shows that you are……..HIV negative. Which mean you are free from the virus and you are in sound health” Then he began to tutor me. He made realize that there are diverse ways one can contact the HIV virus besides sex. He said “HIV can be contacted by using another infected person’s toothbrush, by using sharp objects that have been infected with the virus. He added that I could also contact the virus by shaving, and having my hair cut.

As we discussed to some length, I made a move to leave as I got up. He then say “One more thing. Have some free packs of condoms”. I turned to him and said “I don’t want condoms” He called me back and began to tell me that abstinence is the only cure for AIDS. Well that did not bother me at all but my HIV satus actually took some blood out of me. Thanks to God. I am HIV negative. I can still live the rest of my life without the fear of death as long as I prevent the virus.

No comments:

Post a Comment